Pages

February 17, 2011

The Vegan Diet: Day 24. Amazing list of pantry items you ought consider...

Word of Mouth Cafe, 140 17th St NE Salem.   That's where I committed treason, sin, and betrayal.

I ate the Trucker's Plate, with biscuits and gravy (butter, sausage, cream), prime rib hash browns (beef, potatoes), and I subbed my two eggs for a cup of yummy fruit.  At least I did something right.  And then I borrowed bites off my friend's plate:  Creme brulee french toast.  (sugar, milk, eggs.)

It was evil and OH SO amazing.  Fortunately my organ system didn't shut down.  I did eat healthy things, too.  But they were far less interesting.  I am faithfully eating one avocado and one O3 capsule a day.  One must stay consistent, you know.

Next:  An unsolicited blog "guest re-post."   It's by Bonzai Aphrodite, and it's all the vegan food items she ate in seven days.  What an amazing variety!  Skim to the bottom to find her comments, and check out her site!


Seven Days

Banana
Pineapple
Mango
Strawberries
Mandarin oranges
Blueberries
Raspberries
Raisins
Dried Cranberries
Peanut Butter
Coconut Butter
Tahini

Pumpkin Seeds
Hemp Seeds
Sesame Seeds
Flax Seeds
Brazil Nuts
Almonds
Cashews
Walnuts
Pecans
Hemp Protein
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Cumin Seeds
Cumin
Bay Leaf
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Red Pepper Flakes
Coriander
Chai Spices
Vanilla Extract
Liquid Smoke
Fresh Cilantro
Fresh Basil
Fresh Parsley
Thai Basil
Lemongrass
Tamari
White Miso
Coconut Milk (canned, full fat; canned, light)
Lemon Juice
Nutritional Yeast
Coconut Milk Yogurt
Salsa Verde (jarred)
Red Hot Sauce (bottled)
Green Salsa (restaurant)
Chipotle Salsa (restaurant)
Red Garlic Salsa (restaurant)
Guacamole (store bought)
Sauerkraut (homemade)
Kimchi (homemade)
Soured/Fermented Pickles (store bought)
Jalapenos (pickled)
Raw Agave
Real Maple Syrup
Raw Cacao
Dried Shredded Coconut

Brown Lentils
Yellow Split Peas
Black Beans
Garbanzo Beans
Pinto Beans
Kidney Beans
Navy Beans
Giant White Beans
Refried Beans (restaurant)
Quinoa (‘regular’)
Red Quinoa
Black Quinoa
Rice
Rolled Oats
Gluten-Free Corn Bread (Bob’s Red Mill mix)
White Corn Chips
Blue Corn Chips
Handmade Corn Tortillas (restaurant)
Hummus (store bought; restaurant)
Falafel (restaurant)
Toasted Sesame Oil
Olive Oil
Chipotle Infused Olive Oil
Hemp Oil
Coconut Oil
Soy-Free Earthbalance™
Apple Cider Vinegar
Balsamic Vinegar
Spinach
Mixed Baby Greens
Arugula
Beet Greens
Bok Choy
Romaine
Kale
Sunflower Sprouts
Spirulina
Chlorella
Carrots (raw; sautéed)
Red Onion (raw; sautéed)
Garlic (raw; sautéed; roasted)
Broccoli (steamed)
Tomatoes (raw; cooked; stewed/canned)
Red Bell Pepper (raw; roasted)
Green Bell Pepper (sautéed)
Sweet Potato (baked)
Beets (roasted)
Cauliflower (roasted)
Yellow Onion (roasted; sautéed)
Avocado
Celery (raw; sautéed)
Okra (cooked)
Yam (cooked; roasted)
Button Mushrooms (raw; cooked)
Straw Mushrooms (cooked)
Black Tea
Almond Milk (homemade)
Kombucha (homemade)
Water Kefir (homemade)
Nettle Infusion
Dandelion + Nettle Infusion
Oatstraw Infusion
Coffee
Coconut Water
Wine

---
I often hear people speak of veganism in terms of restriction, as if it involves some great sacrifice. Some sort of deprivation. And it makes me so sad!
It’s hard to efficiently express how my diet has opened up, truly blossomed, since becoming vegan. But to say that my palate is pleased and pleasured, well that could be the understatement of the century! I’m certainly not left wanting for anything.
I thought it might be fun to track everything I eat for a week. Not quantities mind you, and certainly not calories. But variety! Very simply, the diversity of different foods I eat in a mere seven-day period.
I knew my diet cut a wide swath but honestly, in the end I surprised even myself. What abundance! Also keep in mind that this is essentially soy-free (save for tamari and miso paste) and essentially gluten-free (the oats were probably contaminated and the falafel may have had some wheat flour as well). Otherwise, no soy, no gluten, ALL VEGAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment